Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Mystery solved?

There has been much outrage and bewilderment in the media these past few days about how on earth a Yemeni terrorist managed to sneak explosives through security, while flying on a one-way ticket without luggage, without a passport, and without a credit card, especially when the CIA had been warned repeatedly about this particular individual. How could all of our elaborate security apparatus fail so monumentally when crunch time came?

Of course, the most logical resolution to the mystery is the one that no one in the media will ever consider...maybe the security apparatus wanted to let him through....

After all, things have been a little too peaceful for too long, and complacent people don't make good imperialists.

Edit: To avoid confusion, I should point out what I thought was obvious--namely, that I am far from asserting this as the solution to the mystery...I only raise it as an intriguing, and probably unanswerable, question.

7 comments:

Brad...

This is what we call "crazy talk."

January 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Bradford, are you suggesting that some tremendously powerful men are...corrupt? How could that be? Doesn't corruption only exist in history books?

January 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

(Also, you've got a lot of nerve, typing this blogpost in the Benton household, lol...)

January 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

Brad(ford),

Seriously, my friend. There's such a thing as incompetence in international security.

January 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Heh. Yes, it was audacious, but see, they don't read my blog when the flesh-and-blood me is around.

Davey, I certainly would've thought you'd read enough not to call this "crazy talk." But, don't get me wrong. I merely raise it as an intriguing question that I can't help entertaining. Massive incompetence is certainly also a reasonable explanation, seeing as our government has certainly shown plenty of evidence for that tendency.

January 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM  

How could all of our elaborate security apparatus fail so monumentally when crunch time came?

Watch Season 1 of The Wire and you'll see how this kind of incompetence and dysfunction can happen in a large bureaucratic organization.

January 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

David,

Strangely enough, The Wire came immediately to mind for me as well.

January 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home