Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Announcing Theopolitico

March 2, 2010
In case you don’t get enough of my seditious sentiments over here, you can now listen to me bantering about them with my anarchist friend, Adam Naranjo, on Theopolitico, a political theology podcast.  Be advised that it has a lot of room for improvement, since this is my first time doing this sort of thing, and also that, if you think I say weird stuff here, at least here I know what I’m saying, whereas you never know what you’re going to hear when I’m thinking aloud.  And no one ever knows what they’re going to hear when Adam is talking. ;-)

A lot of my segments will contain some of the same content that you see here, sometimes before, sometimes after it's posted here.  But interesting new angles will often emerge in the course of conversation, so hopefully it won't seem redundant

Note: You can also find us on iTunes, of course.  Just type in "Theopolitico," and there we are.

4 comments:

Consider me subscribed...

March 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

Oh dear, just what I was wanting...another arena for you to be dogging my footsteps...

March 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

And speaking of which... I have listened now to the first 10ish minutes of the first one (still working through it on my ride to class) and had the following thought.

On the issue of tracking cell phones.

My understanding is this. The 4th amendment protects an individual's right against unlawful search and seizure. Arguably tracking a person's cell phone violates his privacy rights protected by the fourth amendment. If a police officer has probable cause, then he may make necessary searches to investigate a crime and therefore if probable cause is present he likely could get the tracking information. In the movies such phone tracking is likely "post probable cause" (i.e. "the bank robber (which we saw robbing the bank) is getting away." And therefore a warrant is not necessary at the time. If, however, an officer's suspicion does not rise to the level of probable cause then the search violates the citizen's fourth amendment right.

Here - the government argues that cell tracking is not "a violation of privacy" and therefore not a violation of the constitution. The citizens are arguing that it is.

If allowed, this would allow the government to basically track any person they wanted regardless of the probable cause requirements.

Cheers,

JRM

March 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

You can make these comments on the Theopolitico site, you know...

March 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home